Record of Proceedings
Jefferson County Communications Center Authority
Board of Directors
November 15, 2018, 9:00 am
433 S. Allison Pkwy, Lakewood, CO 80226
I. CALL TO ORDER
The board meeting of the Jefferson County Communications Center Authority (Jeffcom) was called to order by Jon Greer at 9:02am. This meeting was held in accordance with the applicable statutes of the state of Colorado, at 433 S. Allison Parkway, Lakewood, Colorado.
II. ROLL CALL
President Jon Greer (Arvada Fire) Present
Vice President Jeff Shrader (Jeffco Sheriff’s Office) Present
Secretary/Treasurer Daniel Brennan (Wheat Ridge PD) Present
Member Link Strate (Arvada PD) Present
Member Mike Weege (EFD) Present
Member Bill Kilpatrick (Golden PD) Present
Member Dan McCasky (Lakewood PD) Present
Member Don Lombardi (West Metro Fire) Not Present (Proxy Mark Krapf) Present
III. PUBLIC COMMENT – (Limited to 3 minutes each)
- Robert Lingren with AFLCIO: Wanted to urge you again the union that they have worked to build. Jeffco residents are obviously concerned about safety. I want to urge you to support the union here. You get a partner down at the capital to get the funding to make our community safe.
- Nick Hochstedler: I’ve been working with the Jeffcom employees for over a year. We are frustrated with the apparent lack of concern and ignoring the union. We are the only union for dispatchers in Colorado. We gave a presentation in September and it was not communicated to us the decision. It has been said that we are too radical. If you respect your employees, you should respect them to make decisions for themselves. Please reconsider your workers request for a union.
- Dennis Dorian: Executive Director of AFLCIO- I saw that good relationships helps solve problems. When I hear 65% of people in your organization wants to join the question for me is what is the hang on your end? I would like you to reconsider.
- Cheryl Hutchinson: One of the things you asked for is contracts with ACSME. We are pulling those and will get them to you. There is room to sit down together to help you do the call center.
IV. APPROVAL OF RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS
MOTION: It was moved by and Jeff Shrader seconded by Dan Brennan to approve the record of proceedings of the board meeting for October 18, 2018 and November 8, 2018. The motion was voted upon and carried.
A. Oath of Office- Chief Jon Greer Oath of Office- Dean Davis
B. Financial and Budget Update – (CRS) Community Resource of Colorado Ms. Angie Kelly
- October Statement and Update on Expenses
- All member contributions are paid for the 4th quarter.
- We have 3 more JCECA payments left to receive.
- We are at 90% of consultant and professional services. Dues and Memberships at 102%. Software we are at 80%. Meetings and office expenses, we are at 112%. JCECA did cover half of the marketing expenses under that line item. Total operational we are at 83%. Salaries and employment expenses, we are at 60%. We will see that change with all the hiring that has taken place. Recruiting will be over budget because of the deputy director recruiting. Total YTD Employment expenses is 62%. The total expenditures YTD is at 59%. Our ending fund balance $742,000. We are trending pretty well. Unrestricted cash balance is 2.1 million.
- The agreed upon payments from JCECA is: Three payments of $750,000. We will be paid in January on that last payment.
- 2019 Draft Budget Presentation
- At the recent JCECA meeting the final amount that will be funded to Jeffcom will be 6.2 million. There is a variable of $700,000 that will be used for the 3 agencies that JCECA funds.
- We can approve this budget contingent on that final number from JCECA or wait until the December board meeting.
- Expenditures: We put quite a large amount in pre-employment to cover hiring expenses. Dues and Memberships: this will most likely remain about the same. Software: TriTech is the big one on this line item due to maintenance contract. Phone System: We have Text to 911 getting started this year.
- The Jeffcom and West Metro IT contract has been reduced a bit so we can have the funding to look for an IT administrator.
- Meeting office and expenses: This line item is network copiers and general office expenses. We put in another $20,000 in marketing to make sure we have room for public outreach and education. $324,000 for rent next year. Total operating expenses come in at just under 2.1 million.
- Employment expenses: We did add an FSA option for employees. We do have to have funding for that. For Overtime we have a 12% increase. Part Time pay: We will hopefully keep that under $180,000.
- Tuition Reimbursement-The employees are asking for this and it does provide retention capabilities. We have already developed a policy around this.
- Workers Comp: With a claim in this category it has increase our Workers Comp rates.
- Training programs and related travel: Pro QA and Priority Dispatch has been recategorized under this line item. This explains the increase in this line item.
- CALEA- this line item would be to initially start the process of accreditation.
- Total Employment Expenses is 14.8 million.
- We added two positions under the Jeffcom salaries: Network Administrator and Recording Technician.
- We put $100,000 is the capital funding for next year.
- User fees have gone down next year due to better call numbers that were pulled from CAD.
- The board was concerned that the amount budgeted for the FSA account seems a bit high. That will be re-evaluated.
- The board requested a draft budget earlier in the year. This is mostly due to the changes made with JCECA contribution.
- Public Hearing on 2019 Budget No comment from the public.
- Resolution 2018-10 Resolution to Adopt 2019 Budget No motion on this resolution.
C. Executive Director Update – Executive Director Jeff Streeter
- We have 6 people in classroom training. On the 26th of November we have 11 new people starting. We are in the hiring process for another start date on January 14th.
D. Legal Update – Mrs. Kathryn Winn
- We are working with Century Link on the Text to 911 contract. We are close to signing that.
- Next month we have a revision to the Employee Handbook for the board meeting.
- Bob Cole will be covering the board meetings until I am back in April.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
VII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
MOTION: There being no further business to be presented it was moved by Jeff Shrader and seconded by Mike Weege to adjourn the board meeting of the Jefferson County Communications Center Authority board of directors. The motion was voted upon and carried.
Meeting was adjourned at 10:15am.
This meeting is open to the public.