Work Session Agenda
Jefferson County Communications Center Authority
Board of Directors
December 7, 2017, 9:00 am
433 S. Allison Pkwy, Lakewood, CO 80226
I. CALL TO ORDER
The board meeting of the Jefferson County Communications Center Authority (Jeffcom) was called to order by Jon Greer at 9:00 a.m. This meeting was held in accordance with the applicable statutes of the state of Colorado, at 433 S. Allison Parkway, Lakewood, Colorado.
II. ROLL CALL
President Jon Greer (Arvada Fire) Present
Vice President Jeff Shrader (Jeffco Sheriff’s Office) Present
Secretary/Treasurer Daniel Brennan (Wheat Ridge PD) Present
Member Don Wick (Arvada PD) Present
Member Mike Weege (EFD) Present
Member Bill Kilpatrick (Golden PD) Not Present
Member Dan McCasky (Lakewood PD) Present
Member Don Lombardi (West Metro Fire) Present
Jeff Streeter-Executive Director
Kathryn Winn-Attorney with Collins, Cockrel and Cole
Nancy Weiss-Community Resource of Colorado
Amparo Garcia-Revolution Advisor
Brian Wilkerson-Revolution Advisor
Jodi Malpass-Operation Manager
Vicki Pickett-Operations Manager
Pat Purdy-IT Director WMFR
Gabrielle Rathfon-Jeffcom HR manager
Amanda Adams- Jeffcom Executive Assistant
III. PUBLIC COMMENT – (Limited to 3 minutes each)
IV. APPROVAL OF RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS
MOTION: It was moved by Don Lombardi and seconded by Don Wick to approve the record of proceedings of the work session for the board of directors dated November 20, 2017.
A. Financial and Budget Update – (CRS) Community Resource of Colorado Ms. Angie Kelly
1. Resolution to Amend 2017 Budget
- Angie Kelly-presented the 5.7 that has been spent year to date. We do still have some expenses coming in and we anticipate being over the 5.9 million by the end of the year. The resolution amends to 6.5 million from the 5.9 million.
- We may be coming back to JCECA with an ask to cover the additional amendment.
2. Budget Hearing on 2017 Budget Amendment
- Jon Greer opened the public hearing on the amendment to the 2017 budget. No comments. Public hearing was closed.
MOTION: It was moved by Jeff Shrader and seconded by Don Lombardi to approve amendment of the 2017 budget as stated in Resolution 2017-01. The motion was voted upon and carried.
3. Resolution to Adopt 2018 Budget, Appropriate Funds, Set Mill Levies
- The budget’s final numbers remains the same as last board meeting. The only change was matching the resolution to what the budget actually reads. The IGA and the budget matched the member agency contribution percentages.
- Final page of the budget is a reserve fund. This will be budgeted separately to match the resolution. It shows the transfer in of the $745,732 and ensures that it is set aside for capital expenses.
- Second to last page separates out the general operating contingency of the 1 million. It is treated as a capital reserve fund transfer.
- We will not account for left over funds to be given to member agencies in this resolution. That is something that will be addressed in the financial policy when it comes.
4. Budget Hearing on Proposed 2018 Budget
- Jon Greer opened a public hearing for the adoption of the 2018 budget. No comments. Public hearing was closed.
MOTION: It was moved by Jeff Shrader and seconded by Don Lombardi to approve the 2018 budget as stated in Resolution 2017-02. The motion was voted upon and carried.
B. Executive Director Update – Executive Director Jeff Streeter
1. Recognize Alternate Board Member (Arvada PD)
- Considering Don Wick’s retirement, the alternate board member was identified as Deputy Link Straight.
2. Warren Tech
- Don Wick and Jeff Streeter met with Warren Tech to establish a curriculum with them in a dispatch role; potentially leading them to a career in dispatch. They have agreed to work closely with Jeffcom to establish a curriculum.
- Warren Tech has a need for equipment (consoles) to make this program sustainable. They said 12 consoles would be a help to them. We are hoping to have something stood up in Fall 2018. There is a way for the agencies to take their unused equipment and make a difference at Warren Tech. Jeff Streeter will meet with Warren Tech in the near future and come back to the board with a plan on how to accomplish this.
C. Legal Update – Mrs. Kathryn Winn
- Service User Agreement- Approval of form
- The service user agreement has been sent to the agencies. A formal board approval for Jeff to sign for these SUAs is needed.
- There is a change in Exibit B, in section 2.1, second bullet- We will have dispatchers who understand the procedures and process and will have policies in place for dispatching those volunteer agencies.
MOTION: It was moved by Jeff Shrader and seconded by Dan brennan to approve the form of the service user agreement and approve Jeff Streeter’s authority to sign for these. The motion was voted upon and approved.
2. Member Service Agreement-Review/Discussion/Possible Action
- We changed the name to MSA to make it easier to understand which agreement we are talking about.
- The MSA will include standard services that will be provided to all 8 agencies and then exhibits which outline services that will be provided to the individual who is signing the agreement. We pulled out member specific agreements, service levels, and target service levels and presented them as Exhibits. The MSAs went to the legal counsels for each agencies.
- We would like to have a standard agreement and then just have the Exhibits be different for each agency. The board is in agreement that this is a good format and route to go.
3. Dispatcher Transition License Agreements with Jeffco SO and Golden- Review and Approval
- The board has already approved these agreements for the agencies coming over January 1st. Golden and Jeffco decided they wanted to come over as well so those agreements were created. We are just looking for board approval Golden.
MOTION: It was moved by Dan Brennan and seconded by Don Wick to approve the Dispatcher Transition License Agreement for Golden. The motion was voted upon and approved.
- The second agreement was for Jeffco. The only difference is Section 3E where it states that Jeffco wanted the ability to do background checks. Jeffco will also provide cell phones for supervisors. In section 5E they requested a specific stacking plan. Added in was particular records retention and custodian issues that were discusses previously. Jeff Streeter is ok with this new agreement.
MOTION: It was moved by Don Wick and seconded by Don Lombardi to approve the Dispatcher Transition License Agreement for Jeffco. The motion was voted upon and approved.
4. Update on Records Management Meeting with agency attorneys
- Jeffcom will be the records (dispatch logs) custodian for all agencies cutting over January 1st. The exception to that is Jeffco. Jeffco, Lakewood and Arvada offices will handle those requests until they cut over.
- Jeffco requested that with respect to their legacy recordings that Jeffcom would handle those requests. They will have someone come over to Jeffcom to take care of this.
- Jeffcom will retain records for 2 years, in addition to current records. (pending storage capabilities) This retention is within the accreditation standard.
- Jeffcom will come forward with a records retention schedule in the future. This will be approved by the board and filed with the state. We will also produce an open records policy that identifies who our records custodian is.
5. Additional Legal Business
- Kathryn Winn will be the POC for the board meetings moving forward. There will be a monthly call meeting before the work session to get an idea of what will need to be brought before the board.
- We will be bringing back to the board the broader financial issues and the by-laws at the December 21st meeting.
D. Program Management Report – Mr. Brian Wilkerson, Revolution Advisors
- We have been progressing with the SLAs. As we start getting a resolution on the SLA we can get the backup center online.
- We are working through radio and that will be completed in the next few weeks.
E. IT Update – Mr. Pat Purdy
- NICE is 60% complete. We are doing Motorola configuration. CAD is up and going. JFON is being pulled in next week.
F. Human Resources Update – Ms. Gabrielle Rathfon
- We are actively requiting for the ECS. We reposted it this week. Criticall testing and oral boards next week. We have several candidates in Polygraph and Suitability.
- Part time letters went out last week and are coming back.
- Agencies visits have been going on the past couple weeks for benefits. Open enrollment deadline is next week. Enrollment for retirement has a deadline for the end of the year.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
- Transition Plan Presentation- Amparo Garcia/Jeff Streeter
- Amparo Garcia presented the transition plan to the board. This plan is intended to prepare Jeffcom for the January 1st live date. It includes 5 areas that we have documented a transition plan for: Financial, HR, Transition Organization, Training, Operationalize. There are documents to support these 5 sections.
- JCECA will back pay Jeffcom no later than the end of the first quarter.
- A section regarding discriminatory behavior will be added to the grievance process. This process will go in the policy manual as well as the employee handbook.
VII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
MOTION: At approximately 10:22am it was moved by Jeff Shrader and seconded by Don Wick to enter into executive session for the purpose of discussing contract negotiations pursuant to C.R.S. 24-6-402(4)(e), C.R.S. relating to the Member Services Agreement and Service User Agreements. The motion was voted upon and carried.
MOTION: At approximately 11:02am it was moved by Don Lombardi and seconded by Dan Wick to reconvene the work session of the Jefferson County Emergency Communications Authority board of directors. The motion was voted upon and carried.
MOTION: It was moved by Don Lombardi and seconded by Mike Weege to approve the member service agreement as revised in Executive Session. The motion was voted upon and carried.
MOTION: There being no further business to be presented it was moved by Dan McCasky and seconded by Lombardi to adjourn the work session of the Jefferson County Communications Center Authority board of directors. The motion was voted upon and carried.
Meeting was adjourned 11:06am.
Recording Secretary: Amanda Adams-Executive Assistant
This meeting is open to the public.